essential Erlang

Miguel Barreiro Paz enano@REDACTED
Wed Sep 24 12:54:57 CEST 2003

> > Why not start from the outset with the Mach kernel, as are the Gnu-HURD
> > team, and build a native Core-Erlang system on top of that?

Because development would be abysmally slow, as it is in GNU Hurd (yes,
I'm wearing asbestos underwear today) and a couple of developers at most
would understand the subtleties of the microkernel internals.

> I'd first go with making Erlang a virtual OS, seems easier.

In my humble opinion Erlans (well, the ERTS) is already a virtual OS. It
offers process management and isolation, access to external resources and
devices, memory management, and isolates user code from the cold
underlying hardware. It does lack isolation among different identities as
multiuser OSs do - but note that these identities don't have to be users.
IBM VM calls virtualized machines "users", and gives each of them a
virtual hardware image.

Wouldn't running erlang inside erlang be beautiful?