essential Erlang

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Wed Sep 24 13:30:03 CEST 2003

From: "Miguel Barreiro Paz"
> In my humble opinion Erlans (well, the ERTS) is already a virtual OS. It
> offers process management and isolation, access to external resources and
> devices, memory management, and isolates user code from the cold
> underlying hardware.

Yes, it is, but I was referring to the clean separation that I mentioned before.
Right now it's a monolithic VOS, possibly even an ancient-style one.

> It does lack isolation among different identities as
> multiuser OSs do - but note that these identities don't have to be users.
> IBM VM calls virtualized machines "users", and gives each of them a
> virtual hardware image.

In Erlangish, would we call it a node? It's an interesting idea to somehow give
nodes different rights, even if it goes somewhat against the transparency
property of Erlang distribution.

/Vlad