problem with shared heap?

david wallin david.wallin@REDACTED
Thu Mar 6 11:47:04 CET 2003

Thanks,

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 09:14, Bjorn Gustavsson wrote:
> Shared heap is still experimental. The garbage collector is
> in particular needs more attention (it is basically the same garbage
> collector as in the separate-heap emulator).

That makes sense since my code probably creates a lot of 'stuff' that
never will be used again.

> Shared heap can be better if you have an application with a lot
> of concurrency and message passing. Message passing will be faster
> (because messages are not copied) and the emulator will use less memory
> (because processes can share terms instead of having their own separate
> copies).

Yes, but when shared heap is finished, will there be cases when running
a shared heap will actually perform worse than without it, or is it just
now in its experimental stages that these things can occur?

--david.

--
david wallin <david.wallin@REDACTED>