A Joeish Erlang distribution (long)

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Tue Jan 28 12:22:27 CET 2003

> What I meant was that new small and/middle sized software projects is
> IMO advised to avoid gen_servers, supervisors, application controllers,
> appup, relup, boot scripts, gen_fsm, release_handler and the stuff
> described in the "OTP Design Principles".

I totally disagree. It is the above that adds even more to the
productive factor of the programmers using Erlang, allowing small to
medium size projects to be successful. I might agree to bypassing the
above design principles when putting together the evaluation prototype,
but absolutely not when building the product itself.

The design principles give you what lacks in basic Erlang, namely a way
to design the system, a way to organize and reuse parts of the source
code, and a way to reason when putting it together. I have seen people
reinvent the wheel so many times when not using OTP correctly, and I
will stop here as I could go on for ages...

The above will eventually deter potential users, as they will not
experience the factor 4 - 10 of the productivity increase we who know
OTP usually ramble about, and get stuck in trying to solve problems the
OTP developers have taken hundreds of hours to think of, test and develop.

Back to work.. Have a nice day :-)

Francesco
--
http://www.erlang-consulting.com