Erlang Extreme Programming & Refactoring, Was: non-telecom in erlang

Luke Gorrie <>
Fri Feb 7 03:49:41 CET 2003

Eric Merritt <> writes:

> Luke,
>  You know what, I never thought of that. That is
> probably the way to go. There is even a good java
> interface to erlang included in the default distro.  I
> never thought of that. That would be a much better way
> to handle 'all' of the hard stuff!

This is how Distel does it: Emacs handles the UI, and makes RPCs to a
supporting Erlang module in an Erlang node for "real" work. Our
backend Erlang code is not Emacs-specific at all, so you might be able
to use it too. It would be really nice if we could share a backend for
Emacs and Eclipse and build on each others' features.

The main backend module is here:

It has supporting code for refactoring, completion, dynamic-TAGS,
debugging, profiling, and other things. I'd be very interested in
helping to make it usable for both of us.