New tutorial

Joakim G. jocke@REDACTED
Thu Feb 6 21:49:41 CET 2003

Joe Armstrong wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Joakim G. wrote:
>

>>Excellent
>>

>Thank you.
>
>  If  you like  I  can *volunteer*  to  write some  new tutorials  and
>copy-edit any tutorials that other people might like to write.
>
>  If you like the idea you can do one of a number of things
>
>  1) suggest a new topic that interests you

I will write a tutorial on how to implement your banking scenario using
xmlrpc
(with result caching and all). I will mimic your banking code examples
as tight
as possible but use the xmlrpc library  instead. I will also examplify
access to the
server from an Erlang xmlrpc client as well as from a Java Applet ditto.

It would be interesting to write a combined tutorial on these topics as
well.

12. Making an application
16. Writing your first fault-tolerant application

i.e., *without* using OTP behaviours, i.e. using "pure" Erlang as I
described in a

"For small/middle sized software projects its better to write native
 and transparant "pure" Erlang code. The core package documentation could
 include a number of simple pure best practice Erlang skeleton code for:

 * tcp_serv
 * gen_serv (loop, recieved based, nice init phase etc.)
 * app_ctrl (top level process handling child process re/starts etc.).

 A steep learning curve. Not."

This is a more delicate issue though. A lot of people will disagree with
my "best
practice" but I suppose an iterative feedback oriented approach (wow!)
would do
the trick.

I will write it just for the heck of it. I might ask Martin B. to join
me in the work
as well. :-)

Joe: (Again) An excellent initiative.

Cheers
/Jocke

PS With a temperature and head as big as basket ball filled with lead.
      Almost as usual I might add. DS