starting erlang on remote node

Per Bergqvist per@REDACTED
Fri Apr 5 06:28:39 CEST 2002

Garry,

Erlang node names use either fully qualified domain names or
"shortnames" for the host part of node name.
This is controlled by the "-name" (FQDN) and "-sname" (short name)
switches.

To resolve your problem:
a1) replace "-name node" with "-sname node" to use shortnames
or
a2) try to contact "kestrel.sage.att.com" instead of "kestrel".

/Per

> Vladimir Sekissov wrote:
> > Garry Hodgson <garry@REDACTED> wrote:
> >
> > garry> i'm writing some oam scripts to enable users to remotely
start up
> > garry> erlang on various nodes in our linux clusters.  i'm
attempting to use
> > garry> ssh for this, and getting some errors i don't understand.
in
> > garry> particular,
> > garry> when i run:
> > garry>
> > garry>     ssh node0 erl -setcookie cookie -name node -pa
$FATHOM/lib -run
> > garry> master checkin
> > garry>
> > garry> i get:
> > garry>
> > garry>    Eshell V5.0.1  (abort with ^G)
> > garry>    (node@REDACTED)1>
> > garry>    =ERROR REPORT==== 4-Apr-2002::14:09:48 ===
> > garry>    ** System running to use fully qualified hostnames **
> > garry>    ** Hostname kestrel is illegal **
> > garry>    (node@REDACTED)1>
> > garry>
> > garry> and no response to anything i type at this command prompt.
the