starting erlang on remote node

Garry Hodgson garry@REDACTED
Fri Apr 5 17:19:35 CEST 2002

Francesco Cesarini wrote:

> I think you are mixing long node names with short node names in your
> program (When using the -name flag, you should have the domain name
> kestrel.sage.att.com). Nodes started with a long name can not
> communicate with nodes started with a short name.

thanks, i know about long and short names.  the thing that had me
puzzled was
why the name "kestrel" was involved at all.  i'm running the ssh from
"master.sage.att.com" on another machine "node0.sage.att.com".  but your
mail prompted me to look more carefully, and i found a default value in
the code that is used if it can't find the correct environment variable.
when running over ssh, the proper environment is not set, and this
short name was being used, where everywhere else i use long names.
hence the problem.

i now feed it the proper value with the -env flag.

thanks

--
Garry Hodgson                   Let my inspiration flow
Senior Hacker                      in token rhyme suggesting rhythm