starting erlang on remote node

Garry Hodgson garry@REDACTED
Thu Apr 4 22:35:40 CEST 2002

Vladimir Sekissov wrote:
> Garry Hodgson <garry@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> garry> i'm writing some oam scripts to enable users to remotely start up
> garry> erlang on various nodes in our linux clusters.  i'm attempting to use
> garry> ssh for this, and getting some errors i don't understand.  in
> garry> particular,
> garry> when i run:
> garry>
> garry>     ssh node0 erl -setcookie cookie -name node -pa $FATHOM/lib -run
> garry> master checkin
> garry>
> garry> i get:
> garry>
> garry>    Eshell V5.0.1  (abort with ^G)
> garry>    (node@REDACTED)1>
> garry>    =ERROR REPORT==== 4-Apr-2002::14:09:48 ===
> garry>    ** System running to use fully qualified hostnames **
> garry>    ** Hostname kestrel is illegal **
> garry>    (node@REDACTED)1>
> garry>
> garry> and no response to anything i type at this command prompt. the
> garry> master:checkin()
> garry> from the "-run" arg does not appear to get run.  hitting ^C gets me:
> garry>
> garry>    Killed by signal 2.
>
> Your shell on remote host is not interactive.
> So you can't interact with your program.

i realized after i posted that i can, indeed, type at the erlang
shell and run commands.  the error above is coming from the
master:checkin()
call implied by the -run flag.  if i run it by hand at the prompt i get,
the same error appears, even though the nodename appears correct:

(node@REDACTED)2> master:checkin().

=ERROR REPORT==== 4-Apr-2002::15:33:19 ===
{checkin,'node@REDACTED'}
(node@REDACTED)3> node().
'node@REDACTED'

--
Garry Hodgson                   Let my inspiration flow
Senior Hacker                      in token rhyme suggesting rhythm