starting erlang on remote node

Vladimir Sekissov svg@REDACTED
Thu Apr 4 22:35:53 CEST 2002

Garry Hodgson <garry@REDACTED> wrote:

garry> i'm writing some oam scripts to enable users to remotely start up
garry> erlang on various nodes in our linux clusters.  i'm attempting to use
garry> ssh for this, and getting some errors i don't understand.  in
garry> particular,
garry> when i run:
garry>
garry>     ssh node0 erl -setcookie cookie -name node -pa $FATHOM/lib -run
garry> master checkin
garry>
garry> i get:
garry>
garry>    Eshell V5.0.1  (abort with ^G)
garry>    (node@REDACTED)1>
garry>    =ERROR REPORT==== 4-Apr-2002::14:09:48 ===
garry>    ** System running to use fully qualified hostnames **
garry>    ** Hostname kestrel is illegal **
garry>    (node@REDACTED)1>
garry>
garry> and no response to anything i type at this command prompt. the
garry> master:checkin()
garry> from the "-run" arg does not appear to get run.  hitting ^C gets me:
garry>
garry>    Killed by signal 2.

Your shell on remote host is not interactive.
So you can't interact with your program.

On localhost:

$ echo $-
himBH
 ^
 +--- interactive

$ ssh some.host.net 'echo $-'
hBc - noninteractive (there isn't `i')

And it's better to use -s instead of -run:

ssh node0 erl -setcookie cookie -name node -pa $FATHOM/lib -s master checkin

Best Regards,

Vladimir Sekissov