preview copy of a new Erlang FAQ

Michael C Williams mike@REDACTED
Mon Feb 21 09:22:15 CET 2000

> Mike Williams, one of Erlang's original developers, is fond of
> saying "If you don't run experiments before you start designing
> your system, your entire system will be an experiment".

Should be: "If you don't run experiments before you start
designing _a new system_ system, your entire system will be an
experiment"

> Large systems which spent most of their time communicating
> with other systems, recovering from faults and making complex
> decisions run at about the same speed as equivalent C programs.

At the same speed, or faster than equivalent C programs.

> Beginners typically over-estimate the cost of processes
> and message passing.

I think it is the other way round. Beginners _underestimate_ he
cost of processes and message passing. But in 30 years of
programming expereince, I have seldom met anybody who has
overestimated the execution time of any larger program!