My node's not running!

Martin Bjorklund mbjk@REDACTED
Tue Dec 15 20:11:05 CET 1998

Ben Hyde <bhyde@REDACTED> wrote:

> Is there an master index of symbols, were in I might look
> up "node_not_running"?

There is no such thing.  A function can return any atom, and assign
any meaning to it.  However, Mnesia lists all atoms it uses as error
messages; check mnesia(3) (try erl -man mnesia).

node_not_running supposedly means "Node not running", according to the
manual ;-)

> The net_kernel man seems to discuss starting and stoping
> something, but clearly it's not the node in question
> in the error message below.
>
> after:
>
> application:load({application,mnesia,[{env,[{dir,'/tmp/mdb'}]}]}).

This one is the root of the evil...  This means that instead of the
application specification in mnesia/ebin/mnesia.app, [{env,[..]}] is
used.  The bad thing with this specification is that it lacks a start
function.   So when the application mnesia is started (by
mnesia:start()), there is no start function and thus no mnesia
processes are started.

So the error message node_not_running probably means that *mnesia* is
not running at this node.

Try this instead:

clip ~> erl -sname a -mnesia dir '"/tmp/mdb"'
Erlang (JAM) emulator version 47.4.0

Eshell V47.4.0  (abort with ^G)
(a@REDACTED)1> mnesia:create_schema([node()]).
ok