[erlang-bugs] error in re:split on R14B02 and R14B03

Patrick Baggett <>
Fri Jun 10 05:37:46 CEST 2011


Well the point was to check if there might be a reason like compiler
optimization that was causing it. Usually debug builds don't have extremely
heavy optimization enabled and if that was the cause, it would automagically
disappear. Since it isn't the problem, I don't really have good ideas other
than debugging Erlang itself.

Patrick

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Dave Peticolas <>wrote:

> I built a debug emulator, but I'm not sure what I should do with it,
> other than re-run that test which produces the same failing result.
>
>
> 2011/6/7 Dave Peticolas <>
>
>> Thanks, I will give that a try.
>>
>>
>> 2011/6/7 Patrick Baggett <>
>>
>>> Maybe it is compiler options / optimizations producing wrong code? I'd
>>> make 100% sure all *.o files are gone and then retry with a debug build.
>>> Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. :\
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Dave Peticolas <
>>> > wrote:
>>>
>>>> I should mention it works fine on my Linux desktop as well.
>>>> I'd say something was wrong with my netbook, except 01
>>>> works just fine.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> 2011/6/7 Patrick Baggett <>
>>>>
>>>>> Not seeing it here (Win32 platform)
>>>>>
>>>>> Erlang R14B03 (erts-5.8.4) [smp:4:4] [rq:4] [async-threads:0]
>>>>>
>>>>> Eshell V5.8.4  (abort with ^G)
>>>>> 1> re:split("abc","b").
>>>>> [<<"a">>,<<"c">>]
>>>>> 2>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Dave Peticolas <
>>>>> > wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hello, I recently tried to build both R14B02 and 03 on my Dell
>>>>>> Inspiron Mini (Intel Atom)
>>>>>> running Ubuntu 8.04. I already had R14B01 running fine. I found that
>>>>>> re:split no longer
>>>>>> worked. I built all the versions from source. Here is an example of 01
>>>>>> output:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Erlang R14B01 (erts-5.8.2) [source] [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0]
>>>>>> [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Eshell V5.8.2  (abort with ^G)
>>>>>> 1> re:split("abc", "b").
>>>>>> [<<"a">>,<<"c">>]
>>>>>> 2> q().
>>>>>> ok
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> And here is what I get on 02 (same as 03 except for the version
>>>>>> numbers):
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Erlang R14B02 (erts-5.8.3) [source] [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0]
>>>>>> [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Eshell V5.8.3  (abort with ^G)
>>>>>> 1> re:split("abc", "b").
>>>>>> ** exception error: no case clause matching {match,["b"]}
>>>>>>      in function  re:run/3
>>>>>>         called as re:run(<<"abc">>,
>>>>>>                          {re_pattern,0,0,
>>>>>>
>>>>>>  <<69,82,67,80,49,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,98,0,0,...>>},
>>>>>>                          [global])
>>>>>>      in call from re:split/3
>>>>>> 2>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> In case the existing build was somehow getting tangled with the new
>>>>>> one,
>>>>>> I tried removing the 01 build completely and rebuilding 02 and got the
>>>>>> same
>>>>>> results.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> thanks,
>>>>>> dave
>>>>>>
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> erlang-bugs mailing list
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-bugs
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-bugs/attachments/20110609/cfb9652a/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the erlang-bugs mailing list