[erlang-bugs] error in re:split on R14B02 and R14B03

Dave Peticolas <>
Fri Jun 10 06:08:22 CEST 2011


Fair enough. To the debugger!

2011/6/9 Patrick Baggett <>

> Well the point was to check if there might be a reason like compiler
> optimization that was causing it. Usually debug builds don't have extremely
> heavy optimization enabled and if that was the cause, it would automagically
> disappear. Since it isn't the problem, I don't really have good ideas other
> than debugging Erlang itself.
>
> Patrick
>
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Dave Peticolas <>wrote:
>
>> I built a debug emulator, but I'm not sure what I should do with it,
>> other than re-run that test which produces the same failing result.
>>
>>
>> 2011/6/7 Dave Peticolas <>
>>
>>> Thanks, I will give that a try.
>>>
>>>
>>> 2011/6/7 Patrick Baggett <>
>>>
>>>> Maybe it is compiler options / optimizations producing wrong code? I'd
>>>> make 100% sure all *.o files are gone and then retry with a debug build.
>>>> Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. :\
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Dave Peticolas <
>>>> > wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I should mention it works fine on my Linux desktop as well.
>>>>> I'd say something was wrong with my netbook, except 01
>>>>> works just fine.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> 2011/6/7 Patrick Baggett <>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Not seeing it here (Win32 platform)
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Erlang R14B03 (erts-5.8.4) [smp:4:4] [rq:4] [async-threads:0]
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Eshell V5.8.4  (abort with ^G)
>>>>>> 1> re:split("abc","b").
>>>>>> [<<"a">>,<<"c">>]
>>>>>> 2>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Dave Peticolas <
>>>>>> > wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hello, I recently tried to build both R14B02 and 03 on my Dell
>>>>>>> Inspiron Mini (Intel Atom)
>>>>>>> running Ubuntu 8.04. I already had R14B01 running fine. I found that
>>>>>>> re:split no longer
>>>>>>> worked. I built all the versions from source. Here is an example of
>>>>>>> 01 output:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Erlang R14B01 (erts-5.8.2) [source] [smp:2:2] [rq:2]
>>>>>>> [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Eshell V5.8.2  (abort with ^G)
>>>>>>> 1> re:split("abc", "b").
>>>>>>> [<<"a">>,<<"c">>]
>>>>>>> 2> q().
>>>>>>> ok
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> And here is what I get on 02 (same as 03 except for the version
>>>>>>> numbers):
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Erlang R14B02 (erts-5.8.3) [source] [smp:2:2] [rq:2]
>>>>>>> [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Eshell V5.8.3  (abort with ^G)
>>>>>>> 1> re:split("abc", "b").
>>>>>>> ** exception error: no case clause matching {match,["b"]}
>>>>>>>      in function  re:run/3
>>>>>>>         called as re:run(<<"abc">>,
>>>>>>>                          {re_pattern,0,0,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>  <<69,82,67,80,49,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,98,0,0,...>>},
>>>>>>>                          [global])
>>>>>>>      in call from re:split/3
>>>>>>> 2>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> In case the existing build was somehow getting tangled with the new
>>>>>>> one,
>>>>>>> I tried removing the 01 build completely and rebuilding 02 and got
>>>>>>> the same
>>>>>>> results.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> thanks,
>>>>>>> dave
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>> erlang-bugs mailing list
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-bugs
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-bugs/attachments/20110609/e7e9769e/attachment.html>


More information about the erlang-bugs mailing list