Data encryption/decryption at rest

David Christensen dpchrist@REDACTED
Sat Jan 22 19:40:31 CET 2022

On 1/22/22 7:31 AM, Frank Muller wrote:
 > I’m wondering if we can achieve something like this in pure Erlang:
 > https://stackoverflow.com/a/37953361

Who owns the data?  Who owns the disks?  Who owns the servers?  Who owns
the network?  Who has physical access?  Who has remote console access?

Do government regulations apply?  Contractual obligations?  Company
policies?  Personal preferences?

At the higher end, I would suggest self-encrypting drives.

In the middle, I would suggest operating system features -- encrypting
device drivers, encrypting filesystems, encrypted communications, etc..
  Hardware acceleration is desirable -- AES-NI, PCIe cards, etc..

At the lower end, I would suggest validated cryptographic libraries.

Combining multiple solutions must be very carefully considered --
"security in depth" vs. "increased threat surface".

David