Collateral Damage

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Apr 25 21:54:46 CEST 2022

On 25/04/2022 20:21, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> How, then is one supposed to take comments as the following (emphases
> added by me):

Let's not get into flame wars please. Some people don't like Elixir.
Some people do. Who cares. That's not the subject.

> Broadly, this would be the difference between conservationism and
> conservatism. The former is good. The latter leads to stagnation,
> irrelevance, and regression.

I don't think you understand conservatism. It's about keeping the good
foundations (including sometimes what seems good because it's worked for
a long time, although we don't understand exactly why) and doing slow,
incremental improvements.

Erlang has always had a very conservative approach to its development,
in part because it has to maintain forward and backward compatibility so
that release upgrades and downgrades work. I don't think anyone in this
thread is against changes to the Erlang language, as we've all been
through a number of them already. And the Erlang language evolves more
than one may think from the outside as can be attested by the many
version-specific macros or other shenanigans many of us have had to deal
with. This is not what the push back is about.

Cheers,

--
Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu