ssl:handshake_continue should error if you pass {handshake, hello} again?

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Fri Mar 12 11:24:08 CET 2021

I'm experimenting with the {handshake, hello} option in ssl:connect.

Using the following:

{ok, S0, Ex} = ssl:connect(Host, Port, [{handshake, hello}]).
{ok, S1} = ssl:handshake_continue(S0, [{handshake, hello}]).

I was expecting it to do one of the following:
1. ignore the 'handshake' setting and return either the connected
socket or a connection error.
2. return an error complaining about the handshake option.

Instead, it returns a slightly-altered copy of Ex.

Ex is #{alpn => undefined,
                                    ec_point_formats => [0],
                                    next_protocol_negotiation => undefined,
                                    renegotiation_info => <<0>>}

S1 is #{alpn => undefined,
  ec_point_formats => {ec_point_formats,[0]},
  next_protocol_negotiation => undefined,
  renegotiation_info => {renegotiation_info,<<0>>}}

This is with OTP-24.0-rc1 and with 23.0.3.