New EEP draft: Pinning operator ^ in patterns

Wojtek Surowka wojteksurowka@REDACTED
Tue Jan 19 13:38:41 CET 2021

> The addition of a new and previously unused operator ^ does not affect the meaning of existing code, and the compiler will not emit any new warnings or errors for existing code, unless explicitly enabled with warn_unpinned_vars. This change is therefore fully backwards compatible.

In further discussion it was made clear that in a future release not using the operator will be an error.

> To answer your other question, last breaking change that comes to my mind is removal of gen_fsm in OTP 21 (or maybe 20?).

Gen_fsm is not removed, only deprecated. I can still use it (I don't, gen_statem is better).

--
Wojtek Surowka