global singleton gen_server

Vyacheslav Levytskyy v.levytskyy@REDACTED
Thu Dec 16 20:09:18 CET 2021

I have similar problem, and didn't find an ultimate solution yet. My
current approach is to register the singleton gen_server using {via,
my_global_module, my_regname(...)} rather than {global, ?MODULE}. In
"my_global_module" I control how a conflict is resolved between running
server and a new one. In the "resolve" callback of global:register_name
I'm able to query for each of gen_server's version and decide which of
two gen_server lives and which is to shut down. This helps also in case
of rolling updates.

Best regards,
Vyacheslav