What use is `case` sneak- binding?

Richard O'Keefe raoknz@REDACTED
Thu Aug 19 08:43:22 CEST 2021

What Karl Velicka said.  With knobs on.  I honestly haven't the least
idea what the question is.
Perhaps the whole point is that pattern matching and guard testing in "case"
ISN"T in any way different from pattern matching and guard testing in
functions, "fun",
or "receive".

It may be useful to recall that there was a time when Erlang did not
have "fun" or list
comprehensions, and the rule was utterly simple: the scope of a variable was the
whole clause it appeared in, with NO nested scopes.  This was
inherited from Erlang's
parents Prolog and Strand-88.  I actually had a half-written paper
completely destroyed
by the addition of "fun" in Erlang, The rule I would have liked to see
for "fun" and list
comprehensions is that the *scope* of a variable would have continued to be the
whole clause, but just as
   if ... -> X = 1
   end
might not bind X or Y, making X and Y still *visible* outside the "if"
as the same variables
but UNAVAILABLE because they might not be bound, so
  fun (X) -> Y = X end .... Y
should have meant that one variable Y was involved, it just couldn't
be USED at the last
position because it might not be bound.  But nobody asked me.

This may or may not have anything to dow ith your question.  I can't tell.