Crash on gen_server:start_link/3

Dinislam Salikhov Dinislam.Salikhov@REDACTED
Fri Apr 30 14:15:54 CEST 2021

Hi Zsolt,

It's ok that shell process exits, but I find it awkward that it binds the variable at the same time. So it looks like the function has returned and right after that there is a side effect of exit signal.

Maybe, the docs should be enhanced with a piece that unless exit signal is trapped the caller will be killed with it when Module:init/1 returns {stop, Reason} or 'ignore' (but gen_server:start_link() still returns the value)? But I'd like to be sure about the intended behavior before making any such changes.

Using gen_sersver:start/3 would be nice, but there is a time window between gen_server:start() return and linking when the gen_server may cease to exist. I don't want to fix one problem by introducing another one:)

Regards,
Dinislam Salikhov
From: Zsolt Laky <zsolt.laky@REDACTED>
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2021 2:49:28 PM
To: Dinislam Salikhov
Cc: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Re: Crash on gen_server:start_link/3

Hi Danislam,

I think this is the expected behaviour.

In the below example, gen_server:start_link/3 spawns and links a process to the shell, so when that process exits because of the {stop, 42} return, it sends an exit signal to the shell that exits (crash) and restarts.

If you want to handle it, use gen_server:start/3 instead. You may check the result and decide whether to link or not. This case you will not receive an exit signal from the process.

When two processes are linked, either one stops, will send an exit signal to the other. If the other does not handle it (trap_exit) it will also die.

Kind regards,
Zsolt