Should we change from Jira to Github Issues?

Mikael Pettersson mikpelinux@REDACTED
Fri Oct 9 02:05:29 CEST 2020

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 5:08 PM Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> I would much prefer that internal tickets no longer remain internal,
> where possible, and I fear that going to Github will make this less likely.
>
> Also note there's been some movement away from Github, and while it
> still dominates you also have a bunch of Erlang projects on Gitlab
> nowadays. This wasn't the case when you chose JIRA. So I would be wary
> of putting all my eggs in the Github basket.

I largely support this opinion

First, the only problem I see in the current handling of tickets is
the presence of "secret" tickets without public description of any
kind.  This makes it difficult for us to evaluate the impact of PRs
and the secret bugs they refer to, and which versions may be affected
(not all of us can be on the bleeding edge all the time). I do not see
a change in the ticketing system from Jira to github changing that.
(In fact, the "affected versions" part is extremely important, but
it's often missing or incomplete.)

Second, while I have no technical reason to prefer Jira over github
issues or vice versa, I'm also in favour of the "do not put all your
eggs in the same basket" approach.  Integration is great, but
dependence is not.

So for us, OTP moving it's ticketing system from Jira to github is a
no-op: it doesn't break anything, but is also doesn't improve
anything.  But if it makes your life easier, go for it.