HiPE to be removed in OTP 24?

Sun Jun 21 08:51:48 CEST 2020

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 4:30 AM Richard O'Keefe <raoknz@REDACTED> wrote:

> I note that in the last quarter of 2019 about
> 6.4e9 ARM chips were shipped, nearly one for every
> person on the planet, in just one quarter.  I
> believe about 2/3 of those were for embedded use,
> but Erlang should be useful there.  So how long
> will it be before the new JIT targets ARM?

You are right. However, I think one should start somewhere. It is ok to
target one architecture at a time as long as you consider the differences
between the archs in their instruction sets. AArch64 is the obvious next
target, the AArch32 to follow. That ought to make RISC-V somewhat easy in
the future.