Questions about "erl -epmd_start false"

Shunichi Shinohara shino.shun@REDACTED
Fri Dec 18 03:39:34 CET 2020

Hi List,

I try "epmdlessless" configuration described in:
  Running Erlang Releases without EPMD on OTP 23.1+ · Erlware Blog
  https://blog.erlware.org/epmdlessless/

It works as described, thanks to people who contributed to the feature!
However, it behaves in an unexpected way (to me) under epmd daemon running
case.

Expected behavior is the case without running epmd daemon. After launching
a node as:

% erl -sname foo -start_epmd false -erl_epmd_port 14693
Erlang/OTP 23 [erts-11.1.4] [source] [64-bit] [smp:16:16] [ds:16:16:10]
[async-threads:1]

epmd daemon does *NOT* start, as expected:

% epmd -names
epmd: Cannot connect to local epmd

On the other hand, after epmd daemon started as epmd -daemon,
by executing the same erl command above, the node is registered to epmd
daemon:

% epmd -names
epmd: up and running on port 4369 with data:
name foo at port 14693

The questions are:
- Is this behavior expected (to other than me)?
- Is there any option(s) of erl command to avoid registration to epmd?
  # I guess it's possible by using https://github.com/tsloughter/epmdless

Thanks,
Shino