[erlang-questions] crypto: priv/obj and OTP-4828

Rickard Green rickard@REDACTED
Thu Jul 4 13:48:55 CEST 2019

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 10:52 AM Matwey V. Kornilov <
matwey.kornilov@REDACTED> wrote:

> ср, 3 июл. 2019 г. в 23:28, Rickard Green <rickard@REDACTED>:
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 7:45 PM Matwey V. Kornilov <
> matwey.kornilov@REDACTED> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I see the following in the changelog for the quite old version of
> crypto:
> > >
> > > """
> > > Fixed Bugs and Malfunctions
> > >
> > >     It was not possible in R9 to relink the crypto driver. The object
> > > file was missing as well as an example makefile. The crypto driver
> > > object file is now released with the application (installed in
> > > priv/obj). An example makefile has also been added to the priv/obj
> > > directory. The makefile serves as an example of how to relink the
> driver
> > > on Unix (crypto_drv.so) or Windows (crypto_drv.dll).
> > >
> > >     Own Id: OTP-4828 Aux Id: seq8193
> > > """
> > >
> > > priv/obj is still there. I would like to have more details on this
> > > issue. Could somebody give an example when one needs to relink
> > > crypto_drv.so?
> > >

> > We used to deliver a pre-built binary release of OTP for licensed
> customers. The object file and example makefile were there in order for
> customers to be able link the crypto driver against an alternative openssl
> library. Nowadays the driver has be replaced by a NIF and we only deliver
> OTP as source. Since everyone builds from source, there is no need for this
> relink procedure.

Let me take the last sentence back :-)

> > --
> > Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB
>
> Hi,
>
> Many thanks for your response. You say that relinking is not needed
> nowadays. Is it possible to drop this object files from "make install"
> rules in further releases?
>
> --
> With best regards,
> Matwey V. Kornilov

In case you deliver OTP as a pre-built binary package to your customers (as
we previously did), it might be useful for your customers to be able to
relink the crypto NIF library. That is, I don't think this feature should
be removed.
--
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB