[erlang-questions] crypto: priv/obj and OTP-4828

Matwey V. Kornilov matwey.kornilov@REDACTED
Thu Jul 4 10:52:37 CEST 2019

ср, 3 июл. 2019 г. в 23:28, Rickard Green <rickard@REDACTED>:

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 7:45 PM Matwey V. Kornilov <matwey.kornilov@REDACTED> wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I see the following in the changelog for the quite old version of crypto:
> >
> > """
> > Fixed Bugs and Malfunctions
> >
> >     It was not possible in R9 to relink the crypto driver. The object
> > file was missing as well as an example makefile. The crypto driver
> > object file is now released with the application (installed in
> > priv/obj). An example makefile has also been added to the priv/obj
> > directory. The makefile serves as an example of how to relink the driver
> > on Unix (crypto_drv.so) or Windows (crypto_drv.dll).
> >
> >     Own Id: OTP-4828 Aux Id: seq8193
> > """
> >
> > priv/obj is still there. I would like to have more details on this
> > issue. Could somebody give an example when one needs to relink
> > crypto_drv.so?
> >

> We used to deliver a pre-built binary release of OTP for licensed customers. The object file and example makefile were there in order for customers to be able link the crypto driver against an alternative openssl library. Nowadays the driver has be replaced by a NIF and we only deliver OTP as source. Since everyone builds from source, there is no need for this relink procedure.
> --
> Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

Hi,

Many thanks for your response. You say that relinking is not needed
nowadays. Is it possible to drop this object files from "make install"
rules in further releases?

--
With best regards,
Matwey V. Kornilov