** exception exit: noconnection

Adam Lindberg hello@REDACTED
Wed Dec 4 16:06:07 CET 2019

It does receive an exit signal, and then dies because of it, no?

To further split hairs: it’s not killed by anyone specifically (i.e. exit(ShellProcess, kill)), it dies just like any other Erlang process because it receives an exit signal from a linked process. I’m pretty sure there is _some_ process _somewhere_ that also catches the error and makes sure the printout is  done. I don’t know if it is the current shell process or some higher level manager process though (as I didn’t read the source code).

And to go ever further down the rabbit hole: there is no such thing as “killing” an Erlang process. You can only send exit signals. It’s just that there is a special exit signal (‘kill’) that is uncatchable and where the VM makes sure the process dies.

Cheers,
Adam