[erlang-questions] strange definition of enif_get_uint64

Mikael Pettersson mikpelinux@REDACTED
Thu Aug 29 09:40:22 CEST 2019

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 11:30 PM Caragea Silviu <silviu.cpp@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On a Mac OS 10.13.6 x64 in the osx headers the uint_64_t is defined as:
>
> #ifndef _UINT64_T
> #define _UINT64_T
> typedef unsigned long long uint64_t;
> #endif /* _UINT64_T */
>
> But NIF function enif_get_uint64 is defined as
>
> #  define enif_get_uint64 enif_get_ulong
>
> which accepts an unsigned long
>
> Any idea why is like this ?

The definitiion of enif_get_uint64 is conditional on the size of C's
long type; the case you quoted only applies when long _is_ 64 bits.

(Typically long is 32 bits on 32-bit machines and 64 bits on 64-bit
machines, with long long always being 64 bits, but some OS:es
(Windows) insists on keeping long 32 bits even in 64-bit environments.
This is just one of many small details we have to handle when writing
C code that's supposed to work on many CPUs and OS:es.)