[erlang-questions] Testing gen_statem timers

Micael Nussbaumer micaelnussbaumer@REDACTED
Thu Aug 15 13:33:03 CEST 2019

Hi, first time poster (but I've read many threads in here).

How does one usually test gen_statem internal timer events?
Usually you test the effects of the behaviour somehow, and I can test that.
But in this particular case I had a situation where timers with uniq
references are created, later on they usually get removed and all is fine -
they're created for each extra worker started and at some point the worker
is removed by the timer event that trigger checking some conditions.

I noticed after that, the way I had written it, if an extra worker was
started then died for some other reason than the timer event taking it out,
I could theoretically accumulate timers that wouldn't be removed, I've
since then corrected that but still I have no tests ensuring me that it
actually works.
So my question is if there's any even way to test it (even if with tracing)?
Thanks

*M*icael *N*ussbaumer
artistic portfolio <http://cargocollective.com/micaelnussbaumer>