[erlang-questions] More benefit and practical example of distributed Erlang/OTP (simple) application

I Gusti Ngurah Oka Prinarjaya okaprinarjaya@REDACTED
Mon Aug 12 17:38:08 CEST 2019

Hi,

Again, my questions and confusions will base on Learn-You-Some-Erlang book.
Yes, because i learn erlang from that book. And..thank you so much, Fred.

Now, i just finished read and practicing
https://learnyousomeerlang.com/distributed-otp-applications part of the
book. From this part, i learn how to develop a super simple distributed app
that runs in 3 separated nodes.

I have web service infrastructure experience. I've done several freelance
projects related to improving availability and delivery speed. Mostly done
by clustering web servers, database servers, distributing traffic to
clustered web servers, routing write and read to clustered databases
servers, etc. My tools such as NginX, MariaDB Galera, MariaDB MaxScale,
HAProxy, etc.

If i try to compare what i learn in
https://learnyousomeerlang.com/distributed-otp-applications with my
experiences, i can't see the benefits of distributed erlang/otp app that
explained in the book. Then my questions are:

1. Based on the book, i can't see the benefits by creating 2 backup nodes.
Because there's no traffic distribution. Having 3 web-server machines then
distributing traffic to them is more make sense for me for now. If 1
web-server failure, there's still 2 web-server left to serve.

2. Based on the book, service/module can execute at any nodes, but the
service originally at the main / 1st node as long as the 1st node still
alive. Service executed at 1st node. I can't see the benefits. Because in
the end, it will only burden the 1st node. So what is the other 2 backup
node is for? only act as a forwarder? The other 2 backup nodes are just
"sitting", passive, doing nothing (except forwarding request) waiting for
the 1st node to die.

3. I do really need to understand Erlang distributed programming, is there
any more practical *simple* example? Yes, simple example, because if you
ask me to read RabbitMQ's source code, that will make me drunk hahaha ��

Please enlightenment

Thank you