[erlang-questions] How do you go to production?

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Tue Apr 16 21:54:03 CEST 2019

Hi Dieter,

Many thanks for sharing your experience.

Could you please outline your installation procedure?  Also, the size of your Docker application image (RAM footprint) ? I've been considering LXC containers, but I'd like to test with Docker.

All the best,

Lloyd

-----Original Message-----
From: "Dieter Schön" <dieter@REDACTED>
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 3:46pm
To: "Erlang-Questions Questions" <erlang-questions@REDACTED>
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] How do you go to production?

 Hi,
here is a case from the other end of the spectrum.
I developed a protocol converter for a satellite test system, it is installed on 2 (in words: two)  PCs.
For development, I used one application and rebar3. Production is just "rebar3 as prod tar" (From a labelled git commit).
Testing was done on the two PCs, where I used one as the system under test and the other as test harness/data generator.
 I was also using wireshark and other third party tools, to prevent incestuous behaviour.
To test the installation procedure I used docker, which was really nice. I had a blank machine in two seconds,
where I could load and execute the installation script from the host. I had turnaround cycles from several seconds.
What else.. the application is quite small. It fits into one erlang application. Apart from it, the release only contains the observer and sasl.
Unit testing was done in EUnit.

This was my first project where I used erlang, and the learning curve was quite gentle.
Kind regards,
Dieter