[erlang-questions] looking for an imap server/client lib

Andrew Thompson andrew@REDACTED
Wed Jan 31 18:58:34 CET 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 09:08:51AM +0100, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a toy project I'm looking for a lib that would allows me to build an imap server in *Erlang* independently of its storage layer, ie. being able to react to IMAP commands and return the content needed from them. DO you hav any lib to advise ?
>

> I've found:
>
> eimap: https://github.com/altenwald/eimap <https://github.com/altenwald/eimap> , client
> guam: https://git.kolab.org/diffusion/G/guam.git <https://git.kolab.org/diffusion/G/guam.git> not sur what it does
> diemap: https://github.com/Vagabond/diemap <https://github.com/Vagabond/diemap> unmaintained,"Initial import - doesn't really work at all yet <https://github.com/Vagabond/diemap/commit/b77f9cfb1fbc42b3e033f057deb986b4dae5d909>"
> erlimap: https://github.com/boorad/erlimap <https://github.com/boorad/erlimap> unmaintained, "work in progress..."
> switchboard: http://switchboard.spatch.co <http://switchboard.spatch.co/> has a client inside, unmaintained?
>
> Is there anything I missed?
>
> - benoît

I actually got pretty far with diemap, it was pretty usable to *read*
email in mutt/alpine/thunderbird/apple mail. Unforunately IMAP is an
incredibly complicated protocol, and the spec is vague or misleading in
several crucial places and there's a wide variety of incompatabilities
between various clients and servers.

I mostly gave up on diemap because it was a hobby project that just
needed too much time to finish. I'm confident I could have finished it
had I had an actual usecase that allowed me to devote enough time to it.

Not that any of this helps you, just trying to provide some context.

Andrew