[erlang-questions] [ANN] locus: Geolocation and ASN lookup of IP addresses

Guilherme Andrade g@REDACTED
Tue Jan 2 23:31:55 CET 2018

Hi Sergei,

On 2 January 2018 at 20:51, Сергей Прохоров <seriy.pr@REDACTED> wrote:

> Are you sure it works like this?
> Because, as far as I know, ETS data resides in a separate chunk of memory.
> Is the idea that ETS will only contain references to original shared
> binary, but not the binary itself?
> Have you checked / measured that it really works that way and not copying
> whole database to / from ETS for each lookup?

I didn't benchmark it. I looked around on the web for past discussions on
the matter and found a previous thread[1] discussing this particular
problem, in which it was stated that a 6 word overhead would be incurred
for every lookup.

As we're talking about blobs amounting to potentially dozens of megabytes,
I felt very comfortable with such an overhead. I took those statements as
likely being the truth, as the people involved seemed to know what they
were talking about, but I'd be the first to restructure the current
architecture if shown a better way.

Cheers,

[1]: http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2016-October/090712.html

--