[erlang-questions] Erlang on RISC-V

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Tue Feb 20 11:49:58 CET 2018

On 19. February 2018, Mikael Karlsson wrote:

> has anyone looked at having the Erlang compiler support RISC-V,

I haven't.

What do you mean by "the Erlang compiler"?

The regular Erlang compiler, i.e. the one that generates .beam files,
generates .beam files which don't care what CPU you want to run on.

HiPE is a different story, but you didn't mention HiPE.

Getting the VM to run is another task, though once people have linux
and a toolchain running (I see that there's an active debian effort,
for instance), I would expect that to be the same level of difficulty
as compiling on, say, MIPS linux for the first time---i.e. maybe it'll
just work, maybe you have to do a bit of autotools fiddling.

---

The mention of RISC-V just made me think, "I haven't heard anything
about Tilera for a while". I think it's been a few years since anyone
here said anything about it on the mailing list. Anyone know if it's
still alive?

(Wikipedia says they were acquired by EZchip, the Tilera website says
EZchip was acquired by Mellanox. Mellanox still have them listed as a
product, but is this thriving or a zombie?)

Matt