[erlang-questions] Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Alexey Lebedeff binarin@REDACTED
Thu Feb 15 15:05:24 CET 2018

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Richard O'Keefe <raoknz@REDACTED> wrote:

> Did someone raise an objection to "lotor"?
> Or since the French name for the animal is
> apparently "raton laveur", how about "laveur"?
> Surely there can be few people offended by that!
> Or backtranslate from other European languages
> and use "washbear".  Anyone offended by that?
> Or go back to Powhatan "arahkun" and abbreviate
> to "kun" (pronounced "coon").
> ... <https://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq-how-many-english-words>
> How hard can it be to find an inoffensive word?

It's impossible, as it just have happened with "tp". Think about "Racoons
killed my parents, and now I'm triggered whenever somebody mentions them in
any language - so abusive project name should be changed". With a bit of
"empathic" wistful thinking we can assume that any word in any language is
offensive to somebody.