[erlang-questions] Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Mon Feb 12 18:58:12 CET 2018

Goodness - what a lot of mails.

When choosing a name the following algorithm is used by many
organisations and people

    1) Choose a name
    2) Check in all known languages if this might offend someone
        if it does goto 1)

(There are even companies you can hire that do this, if it's a big product)

If I wrote some software I would like it to be discussed for the right
reasons, which are

    - it is useful
    - it is beautiful
    - it solves some interesting problem
    - it raises and solves some interesting problem

I would not like it to be discussed for my skills in naming the damn code.

I have said on many occasions that code should be named by the SHA1 checksum of
the content - as far as I know this would not offend people - apart
from those who
thought the name could be a tad simpler.

If you choose the wrong name you can accidentally offend people, even if this
is not your intention - offending people has consequences.

Cheers

/Joe