[erlang-questions] Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Roman Galeev jamhedd@REDACTED
Mon Feb 12 18:10:41 CET 2018

> I'm interested in the etymology of the word in
Russian/Ukrainian/Belarussian etc and why that name was chosen in the first
place.

Raccoon in Russian sounds completely different [jenot], coon itself
(pronounces as [kun]) is not even a word.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:03 PM, <zxq9@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 2018年2月12日月曜日 10時52分22秒 JST Chris Duesing wrote:
> > I can't believe this "discussion" is happening. Coon is a racial slur,
> > there is no other use of the word. The fact that a bunch of white
> Europeans
> > are pointing out that the dozen people involved in this thread aren't
> > offended simply shows the lack of diversity in the mailing list. The "oh
> > I'm butthurt because other people get offended by things" is fucking
> > ridiculous. It is a racial slur, period. If this isn't a library only
> > intended to be used by racist fucks then rename it.
>
> Oh, so since YOU haven't heard it used to refer to "racoon" then your
> experience is its only meaning?
>
> I grew up in North Texas and Lousiana. I hunted coons for the greater part
> of my childhood, partly because we could sell the furs and partly because
> we could eat them (delicious in meat pies, something folks like you
> actually privileged folk would turn your noses up at). We rarely called
> them "racoons" because, well, it's a whole extra syllable and we don't like
> speaking at length so much.
>
> I have not once heard this term used as a racial slur outside of movies,
> despite having grown up in a part of the U.S. from which the use of this
> supposed uniform slur originates. Were there racists? Sure. But they had
> quite distinct terms for ethnically enhanced persons of a desirbable social
> quality and similarly derives persons of an undesirable social quality --
> and the undesirable term was not "coon". Note, by the way, that it was the
> social quality of the individual to which the reference applied, not the
> ethnicity.
>
> Whatever you think you know about the American South, you evidently do not.
>
> This entire thread is ridiculous.
>
> -Craig

With best regards,
     Roman Galeev,