[erlang-questions] Private ets table vs. Process directory

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Fri Feb 9 11:13:38 CET 2018

On 9 February 2018 at 02:17, Charles Hixson <charleshixsn@REDACTED> wrote:
> My problem has been that when I searched for limits on the number of Erlang
> processes I got:
> The maximum number of simultaneously alive Erlang processes is by default
> 32,768. This limit can be configured at startup. For more information, see
> the +P command-line flag in the erl(1) manual page in ERTS.

The documentation at
http://erlang.org/doc/efficiency_guide/advanced.html is wrong. The
default (on x86_64, anyway) is 262,144 processes. See
http://erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html#max_processes.

Data point: I just took a look at our production servers. We've got
just under 40K processes per node. You could almost certainly go
higher. We're constrained by other factors, so we scale horizontally.