[erlang-questions] Mnesia activity API future.

Dan Gudmundsson dgud@REDACTED
Wed Aug 29 07:50:31 CEST 2018

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 6:12 PM Daniil Fedotov <fedotov.danil@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In RabbitMQ team we are currently investigating possibilities of improving
> our use of mnesia by replacing the clustering bit and the native mnesia
> transactions with a custom mnesia_access module.
> This is in order to improve partition handling in RabbitMQ, which have
> been a long standing issue.
> The `mnesia:activity` API will be the main integration part of this change.
>
> As the RabbitMQ team will have to support this solution for years, we
> would like to be sure that it will not be deprecated or changed
> significantly in the future mnesia versions.
>
> So the question is foes Erlang OTP team have any plans for changing,
> removing or deprecating the API and will the mnesia_access behaviour be
> made a proper behaviour to keep the API callbacks in check?

mnesia_access behaviour is seen as an official API, so that should be a
stable API.
Of course any API can change, so that users of it might need to do changes,
but it's been stable for many moons now and I see nothing right now that
will change the API.

On the other hand is there anything out there outside of mnesia_frag that
uses it?  Your "new" usage might find bugs in API which might force us to
change that.

A new behaviour will probably not be prioritized by us, if you want/require
that do a PR including tests and documentation.

/Dan