[erlang-questions] [meta] Messages not reaching the mailing list

Joe Harrison jrh53@REDACTED
Wed Aug 15 16:17:51 CEST 2018

On 15/08/18 14:22, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 03:55:48PM +0100, Joe Harrison wrote:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> tl;dr it appears that the mailing list software is modifying message
>> headers/bodies, leading to broken message signatures, ultimately causing
>
> This is default mailing list behaviour since the dawn of the Internet.
>
>> mail providers to outright *reject* some messages from the list.
>
> This is a new behaviour caused by the DMARC project completely ignoring
> mailing lists when they created their new nifty feature

Yes, it's an unfortunate breakage, but it's also a modern spam
mitigation technique, and it's slowly gaining steam amongst the bigger
free providers (there were rumours of gmail setting "p=reject" in 2017).

>> ---
>>
>> Just a note to those that are having problems with their messages
>> getting onto the mailing list.
>>
>> The erlang-questions Mailman configuration seems to be breaking DKIM
>> signatures, which means that messages from the mailing list will be
>> marked as either spam or outright rejected depending on the DMARC policy
>> of the original sender's domain.
>>
>> Assuming this is the case, the mailing list owners need to read:
>>
>> https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC
>>
>> and pick an option, while those sending from domains with strict DMARC
>
> Unfortunately it is not enough to _read_ that document. ;-)
>
> In this case "pick an option" constitutes of upgrading the mail server
> machine OS, installing a newer Mailman that has got these options to pick,
> configuring a new web server to handle the mailing list archives,
> configuring a new mail server for the new Mailan, and re-implementing
> the mail list archive address obscurification via .png pictures that
> Mailman still has not implemented.  And then "pick an option".
I feel your pain. I sympathise with mailing list managers - I've had the
displeasure of running Mailman once myself.

As an aside, it looks like Mailman 3 has switched from pipermail to
hyperkitty, which might provide the obfuscation/hiding of email
addresses that you're looking for.

> While maintaining the real business...
>
> Hopefully this will happen within a month or so.

Thank you for your time. I realise this is not a high priority thing :)