[erlang-questions] Erlang VM in Rust

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Mon Sep 25 23:15:52 CEST 2017

On 25/09/17 10:41 PM, Attila Rajmund Nohl wrote:
> [...]
>> Having said that I see no immense security risk in writing code for a remote sensor in C. It avoids one of the prime security risks: human user interactions and all the buffer overrun problems and string processing stuff that is so hard to do safely that there are still books being written about.
>
> If it is connected to the internet (the first letter in IoT), then it
> at least needs to handle IPv4 - and it involves parsing of potentially
> untrusted data.

The remote sensors I am interested in are *not* connected to the
internet.  They are connected via radio to each other and to base
stations, and the base stations may then be connected to the
internet (probably using an OS and IP stack written in C).

There is a serious point here that *end* devices are likely to be
as small as you can get away with.  Instead of spending money on
bigger/faster machines, it's rather more useful to have *more*
machines that are just capable enough to do the job.

Other people may be interested in other things.