[erlang-questions] Erlang VM in Rust

Karl Nilsson kjnilsson@REDACTED
Tue Sep 19 15:57:08 CEST 2017

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 at 12:41 Jesper Louis Andersen <
jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 11:38 PM Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED>
> wrote:
>
>> What's your opinion of F#?  It seems to be the language
>> of choice for people who liked Caml but need to take advantage
>> of multiple cores.  I haven't done any benchmarking; I doubt
>> that it could match OCaml in raw speed.
>>

> I have not used it enough to have an opinion (yet). Were I to communicate
> a lot with the .NET platform, I'd probably pick it because it has a null
> value and this is a necessity when talking to C# I'm told.
>
> Given that it runs under a pretty powerful JIT, it could perform really
> well for a lot of tasks I think.

F# doesn't typically have any speed advantages of any other .NET languages
and in every comparison I've seen to OCaml it has performed worse. If
anything the allocation costs induced by a functional first programming
style means it is typically a bit slower than the equivalent C# code (also
there is no goto).

As a language F# is the nicest I've ever used substantially. I find it easy
(and fun) to write reasonably correct code in. Also I hardly ever fear
refactoring (compared to erlang where I break out in cold sweats even for
code bases that pass dialyzer).

I even like it so much I've started hacking on an fsharp to core erlang
compiler. (https://github.com/kjnilsson/fez).