[erlang-questions] Why RPC in Erlang? [was: How RPC works in erlang?]

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Fri Oct 6 04:03:11 CEST 2017

On 2017年10月05日 木曜日 10:50:41 Miles Fidelman wrote:
> I guess an obvious question is why does Erlang have an RPC mechanism at
> all?  It's so at odds with the basic architecture of message-passing
> concurrency.

To be more precise, "Why is there an RPC module in the standard library?"

RPC is not part of the language or runtime, of course, it is just a module
written on top of the bits that already exist in Erlang. Any message that
is sent might initiate an RPC -- or might not. The term "RPC" doesn't even
make much sense to use in the context of Erlang, and one might notice that
this term is actually never used by long-time Erlangers.

I don't think I've ever seen any code that uses the RPC module, either.
Maybe at some point someone thought they needed it, or there may have been
pressure to include that to comply with someone's expectations -- but I've
never found it useful or seen anyone other than beginning Erlangers even
read the docs or ask questions about it (and they stop once they find out
how gen_server:call/2 works over disterl).

"Why is there BERT?", on the other hand, is a question with a ready answer.

-Craig