[erlang-questions] Erlang Install on i368-pc-sollaris2.10 issues

Kelvin Poon (Scotiabank GBM) kelvin.poon@REDACTED
Fri May 5 22:00:56 CEST 2017

Hi,

I am running into an issue with an Erlang install on our Unix machine (Solaris 10).

Erlang version: R16B03
OS: Solaris 10

I am following the steps listed on the official install page:

https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/maint/HOWTO/INSTALL.md

I have unpacked the tar file from erlang.org, these are the steps I have followed:

export ERL_TOP=<my local directory where tar file was unpacked>/otp_src_R16B03
export DED_LD=gcc #using gcc located at /usr/sfw/bin/gcc
export PATH=/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/xpg4/bin/:/bin
./configure -prefix=<target erlang install directory>

Configuration finished with: (I can post the entire output if necessary)

---

**********************  APPLICATIONS DISABLED  **********************

odbc           : ODBC library - link check failed

**********************  APPLICATIONS INFORMATION  *******************

wx             : wxWidgets not found, wx will NOT be usable

**********************  DOCUMENTATION INFORMATION  ******************

documentation  :
                 fop is missing.
                 Using fakefop to generate placeholder PDF files.

---

gmake #located at /usr/sfw/bin/gmake

The error I receive is:

---

gcc  -o ../priv/lib/i386-pc-solaris2.10/trace_ip_drv.so ../priv/obj/i386-pc-solaris2.10/trace_ip_drv.o -lc -lsendfile -ldlpi -ldl -lm   -lsocket -lnsl
main                                /usr/lib/crt1.o
set_port_control_flags              ../priv/obj/i386-pc-solaris2.10/trace_ip_drv.o
driver_alloc                        ../priv/obj/i386-pc-solaris2.10/trace_ip_drv.o
driver_alloc_binary                 ../priv/obj/i386-pc-solaris2.10/trace_ip_drv.o
driver_free                         ../priv/obj/i386-pc-solaris2.10/trace_ip_drv.o
driver_select                       ../priv/obj/i386-pc-solaris2.10/trace_ip_drv.o
ld: fatal: symbol referencing errors. No output written to ../priv/lib/i386-pc-solaris2.10/trace_ip_drv.so
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

---

I looked around..it looks like it has to do with the gcc library on solaris. Is this an issue with my gcc install where it has unresolved symbols?

I realize I can get pass this by using LDFLAGS=-W1,-x,nodefs where it ignores unresolved symbols. However I need this for the purpose of running RabbitMQ, and I run into other issues when running RabbitMQ when install Erlang this way, so I would like to see what your opinions are.

Thanks,

Kelvin Poon | Associate Director, Algorithmic Trading and Routing | Quantitative Trading Solutions | Scotia Capital Inc.
Scotiabank | Global Banking and Markets
40 King Street West, 65th Floor, Toronto, ON, Canada, M5H 1H1
Direct: (416) 863-7455 | EES Trading: (416) 862-3208 | Mobile: (647) 966-9631 | Fax: (416) 862-3208
kelvin.poon@REDACTED<mailto:kelvin.poon@REDACTED>
Scotiabank.com
Scotiabank is a business name used by Scotia Capital Inc.

Please click this link kelvin.poon@REDACTED<mailto:kelvin.poon@REDACTED?subject=Please%20REMOVE%20from%20email%20mailing%20list> to email the sender for removal from this specific note/publication.

TM Trademark of The Bank of Nova Scotia. Used under license, where applicable. Scotiabank, together with "Global Banking and Markets", is a marketing name for the global corporate and investment banking and capital markets businesses of The Bank of Nova Scotia and certain of its affiliates in the countries where they operate, including Scotia Capital Inc. (Member-Canadian Investor Protection Fund). This publication is not a research report.  Consequently this commentary is not governed by rules applicable to the publication and distribution of research reports, including relevant restrictions or disclosures required to be included in research reports. This publication is not meant to provide information sufficient upon to base an investment decision, or to replace any due diligence or analytical work required by you in making investment decisions.  This communication has been prepared and distributed by staff of Scotia Capital Inc.'s Institutional Equity Sales and Trading Desk (a Canadian Investment Dealer, member of IIROC) solely for the use of sophisticated institutional investors. The opinions and statements contained herein are intended for information purposes only and are subject to change without notice. In addition, the opinions and statements contained herein are based on information taken from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to their accuracy, completeness, or timeliness. Furthermore, the opinions expressed herein represent the personal views of the writer and may not be shared by other members of the Institutional Equity Desk or other areas, units, divisions or affiliates of Scotia Capital Inc.  Additionally, either the Institutional Equity Desk or other areas or divisions could trade in accordance with the views expressed or trade against these views.  Any transactions by US Institutional Investors in any security mentioned or referenced in this publication cannot be effected through Scotia Capital Inc. and must be executed with a U.S. broker-dealer, including Scotia Capital (USA) Inc., an affiliate of Scotia Capital Inc.  Scotia Capital Inc., its directors, officers, employees, affiliates or clients may currently or from time to time own or hold interests in long or short positions in the securities referred to herein, and may at any time make purchases or sales of these securities as principal or agent. Scotia Capital Inc. or its affiliates may have provided or may provide investment banking, capital markets advice or other services to the companies referred to in this communication. This email should not be construed as investment advice or as an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any securities or other financial instruments.  Neither Scotia Capital Inc. nor any of its officers, directors, partners, employees or affiliates accepts any liability for any direct or consequential loss arising from this publication or its contents.  Scotia Capital Inc. recommends that investors independently evaluate each issuer and security discussed in this publication, and consult with any advisors they deem necessary prior to making any investment. Scotia Capital Inc. owns or controls an equity interest in TMX Group Limited and in excess of 1% of the issued and outstanding equity securities thereof.  As such, Scotia Capital Inc. may be considered to have an economic interest in TMX Group Limited including the various marketplaces operated by it such as the Toronto Stock Exchange, the TSX Venture Exchange and the Alpha Exchange.  Scotia Capital Inc. has a nominee director serving on the Board of Directors of TMX Group Limited. Redistribution or onward forwarding of this email is strictly prohibited. If you believe that this email was sent to you in error, please forward a message to that effect as soon as practicable to trade.supervision@REDACTED<mailto:trade.supervision@REDACTED>.
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, do not re-send, copy or use this e-mail. Please also contact the sender immediately and delete this e-mail in its entirety. Privilege is not waived by reason of mistaken delivery to you. The Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank) and its affiliates accept no liability whatsoever for loss or damage in relation to this e-mail and may monitor, retain and/or review email. Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and may not represent the opinions of The Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank) and its affiliates. Trading instructions received by e-mail or voicemail will not be acted upon.

Pour obtenir la traduction en français: http://www.gbm.scotiabank.com/EmailDisclaimer/French.htm

Traducción en español: http://www.gbm.scotiabank.com/EmailDisclaimer/Spanish.htm