[erlang-questions] gen_server init returns {stop, Reason} and fails: possibly doc bug?

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Tue May 2 12:57:51 CEST 2017

Here:  http://erlang.org/doc/man/gen_server.html#start_link-3  we can read
that start_link will return  {error, Reason} if init callback returns
{stop, Reason}

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that it is not possible to get back clean
reply, because gen_server.erl  has following code:

proc_lib:init_ack(Starter, {error, Reason}),  % here we may receive error
tuple
exit(Reason)

After exit caller is failing because of linkage. So if we want to have
start_link, we cannot get clean logs and clearly get {error, Reason}  tuple.

Am I wrong?