[erlang-questions] OTP 20.0 has been released

Michał Muskała michal@REDACTED
Wed Jun 21 17:02:40 CEST 2017

On 21 Jun 2017, 16:52 +0200, Fred Hebert <mononcqc@REDACTED>, wrote:

> To turn shell history on, you can therefore do any of the following:
>
> • Pass the arguments to the shell: $ erl -kernel shell_history enabled
> • Create a configuration file like
> [{kernel,[{shell_history, enabled}]}].
> and pass it to the shell: $ erl -config hist.config
> • You can create an alias for the shell with alias erl='erl -kernel shell_history enabled' in your dotfiles to get it always running
> • On windows you can create a shortcut to werl.exe and change the shortcut target to '"C:\Program Files\erlang-otp-20\bin\werl.exe" -kernel shell_history enabled' to get it all automatically -- you can do it in the start menu entry if that's the one you use the most by 'opening location' and editing the shortcut there.
>
> The following apparently and sadly does not work, which confuses me quite a bit:
>
> • editing $ROOT/lib/kernel-5.3/ebin/kernel.app and add the config directly in there
> • Neither does creating a sys.config entry in the root release
>
> Let me know how that goes!

I'm using locally the RC for some time now. I found that setting the ERL_AFLAGS or ERL_ZFLAGS environment variable is the easiest way to have shell history enabled "globally". I haven't actually seen any other uses of those flags (please correct me, if I'm wrong), so it shouldn't clash with anything either. Adding

    export ERL_AFLAGS="-kernel shell_history enabled"

to your .profile/.bashrc/.zshrc (or equivalent) should be enough.

Michał.