[erlang-questions] Changes to string module

Dan Gudmundsson dgud@REDACTED
Fri Jul 21 16:17:47 CEST 2017

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 4:02 PM Lloyd R. Prentice <lloyd@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I can appreciate the reasons for the changes, but it has created moments
> of frustration for me.
>
> I'm running an earlier version of Erlang. Plan to upgrade, but not yet. My
> work habit is to frequently consult on-line Erlang docs.
>
> The other day I looked up string:span/2, which I've used in various places
> throughout my code. But what's this? It's marked "obsolete - use take/2."
>
> I must have caught the docs at a point of transition since there was no
> take/2 in the list of string functions. What to do? What to do?
>
> That version of the docs seems to have been updated. Both take/2 and
> span/2 are now in the list.
>
> OK, I can live with momentary and passing frustration. But now, when I
> upgrade Erlang, do I have to worry that span/2 will be dropped at some
> point--- after all, it's "obsolete."

It might be dropped at some point, but not in any near future, not until
OTP-23 and probably not in that release either.
We will deprecate (and add warnings) and remove the docs of the old
functions in OTP-21.

The old functions will be kept.

> Or do I have run two versions of Erlang?
>
> Plus, I now find the string docs much harder to use since I have to think
> about whether a given function is in my version of Erlang or not.
>
> Petty issues and, perhaps the price of progress. But it does illustrate
> that library revision may have unintended consequences.

The only difference right now (in OTP-20) is the addition of new functions
and the text that warns that the old ones will be deprecated in 21.
So the only problem you might get in OTP-21 is deprecated warnings for
using old functions which you can suppress.

/Dan