[erlang-questions] Tricking dialyzer with an opaque type

Tobias Lindahl tobias.lindahl@REDACTED
Mon Jul 3 15:56:14 CEST 2017

> Alex, Tobias,
>
> Indeed, the function constructs the set using gb_sets API and then the
> result is embedded in the module with erl_parse:abstract/1.
> The current solution consists in adding a call to an identity/1 function
> in the generated replacement code. This function is exported from the parse
> transform module of type fun(any()) -> any(). Since the parse transform is
> in another application, dialyzer seems to take its specification for
> granted (?). It's a cheaper equivalent of binary_to_term(term_to_binary(V)),
> although not free (it's still a remote call).

Sorry, I misunderstood.

If you are worried about the remote call, you can probably achieve the same
thing by having a local call and exporting the function. You need the
export to confuse Dialyzer enough to label it as any().