[erlang-questions] wxErlang question 1

Dan Gudmundsson dangud@REDACTED
Mon Jul 3 10:40:19 CEST 2017

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 10:24 AM Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 1:09 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED>
> wrote:
> > For me, the gold standard remains Interlisp-D.
> > Interlisp reference manual, 1983 edition (I have it beside me
> > still), chapter 19 "Interlisp-D Display Facilities".
> > 50 pages.  Complete. Day 1: I've never written any graphics
> > code in my life.  Read the chapter.  Day 2: read it again.
> > Day 3: try some small examples.   Day 5: multipane graphic
> > debugger for the Prolog "microcode" complete.  The nearest
> > I've ever found is Tcl/Tk.
>
> Tcl/Tk was (is) great (bar some rather strange quirks)
>

> > Do the wxWindows tutorials help at all?
> > For me, http://docs.wxwidgets.org/stable/overview_helloworld.html
> > convinced me to stay away.
>
> The examples are horrible - an application seem to consist of a number
> specific
> classes which override or extends the behaviour of the standard classes.
>
> My problem here is that the standard classes do zillions of things and
> which methods
> must be overridden or extended to achieve somethings is unobvious.

Agree..

> In my opinion use of callbacks and an event loop is the wrong way to
> do graphics -
> wxWidgets (and friends) seem to me to be extremely complex ways of
> hiding concurrency
> and replacing it with callbacks and an event loop.

Agree, and it doesn't fit erlang programming modal at all, but the
alternative
is to go the tcl/tk way and write our own gui-api, but we don't have
resources
nor interest to do that.

And when we started with wxWidgets there where no alternatives, QT was not
open source.

> Every time I get locked into a modal window I think - "yet another
> concurrency failure"
>
> A typical example is a program that has a form and an account
> preferences page. When I'm filling in the form I need some detail that
> is the account preferences - but I can't access this until
> I've filled in the form - a typical concurrency error.

Modal dialogs have it's uses, does not confuse non expert users and so on,
and for example the file dialog is modal on many OS'es.

> I think it might be possible to tame wxErlang but right now I can't
> figure out how to even do simple
> things.

Example sent in the other thread.