[erlang-questions] Erlang basic doubts about String, message passing and context switching overhead

Benoit Chesneau bchesneau@REDACTED
Sat Jan 14 17:06:15 CET 2017

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 4:53 PM Oliver Korpilla <Oliver.Korpilla@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Could the Unicode support in elixir serve as a starting point?
>
> https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/1.3.3/String.html#content
>
> String.upcase/1 and String.downcase/1 seem to be Unicode-aware. And a lot
> of effort seems have gone in scenarios like this:
>
> "For example, the codepoint “é” is two bytes:
>
> iex> byte_size("é")
> 2"
>
> Given that both Erlang and elixir are implemented on top of BEAM, the
> wheel might not need reinventing? I know engineers and programmers love
> inventing stuff, and this discussion seems to point in that direction,
> but...
>
> Cheers,
> Oliver

If I remember correctly the unicode support of Elixir is written in elixir
and data come from the unicode/icu projects. data resources (codepoints and
so on ) are compiled as beam. (I do the dame in my idna lib).

The work may be simpler in using/wrting a nif over the well supported ICU
lib thoug. I'm curious about the reasonning that conducted to the current
implementation in elixir.

- benoit